If you were the victim of a car accident, you may quickly become overwhelmed by the stress of the crash, your injuries, and how to pay your bills. However, remembering the details of how the crash occurred, the treatment you received, and the pain you experience on a daily basis is important to proving your claim against the negligent driver. Given all the details and documents you will need to collect to start your claim, this can be challenging. However, it is essential if you want to obtain the compensation you deserve.
Reasons to Keep an Auto Crash Diary
Keeping a diary can be one important way you can improve the likelihood of a favorable settlement of your case. Your medical treatment could take months or longer to complete, which means it could take even longer to resolve your claim with the negligent driver’s insurance company. If you are like most people, it can be hard to remember details of what happened yesterday with the fast pace of life even when you are healthy. When your mind is not as clear due to pain, injuries, or medications you are taking, this can become even more difficult.
This is where keeping a diary can help. Key reasons you want to start a journal as soon as possible include:
- It will help you remember all the important details that will help your case later when your attorney negotiates a settlement or if you have to give a deposition or testify at your trial. This can be much easier than trying to remember these important facts months later.
- You can record the details of how the crash occurred soon after it happened when it is still fresh in your mind.
- You can also keep better track of contact information for the other driver, his insurance company, and witnesses in a journal rather than on random slips of paper.
- It will be easier to keep a record of any conversations you have with the insurance adjuster for the negligent driver and the adjuster handling the claim under your own insurance policy.
- You can document all your doctor and physical therapy appointments, your medications, and what treatments you are receiving.
- You will be able to write about the pain you are experiencing and how your life is being affected by your injuries on a daily basis – a far easier way to remember these important facts.
Follow These 6 Car Accident Diary Do’s:
- Think before you write, and remember that the attorney for the negligent driver’s insurance company may obtain a copy of it if you must file a lawsuit.
- Be honest, accurate, and brief.
- Date and sign each entry.
- Record all in-person and phone conversations with doctors, other medical providers, insurance adjusters, police officers, and any other person with information concerning your claim.
- Date and save all written communications, like letters, emails, and texts from attorneys, insurance companies, police, and anyone providing you with medical treatment.
- Consistently record any limitation in your day-to-day activities and any pain you are experiencing after the accident.
4 Mistakes You Don’t Want to Make When Keeping Your Accident Journal:
- Don’t exaggerate, lie, or distort the truth. Most likely you will get caught and you will hurt your credibility in general – which may significantly reduce the value of your claim.
- Don’t write “same as yesterday” or something similar when describing limitations in your activities or your pain. This could be interpreted to mean that you really were not concerned about your injuries or that they were not that serious. Don’t repeat entries for the same reason.
- Try to use descriptive words instead of very general ones.
- Do not let long periods of time elapse between entries or write them long after what you are writing about occurred.
Before starting a diary, you should consult with your attorney so that you follow his guidelines for keeping one. You also want to show it to him periodically so that he can catch any errors in it or give you tips for improving it.
Have You Been Involved In A Henderson Or Las Vegas Car Accident?
If you’ve been injured in a car accident you need to speak with an experienced car accident lawyer as soon as possible. Contact us online or call our Henderson office directly at 702.405.6000 to schedule a free initial consultation.