Losing a close family member, like a spouse, child, or parent, is devastating no matter how the death happens. When your loved one died in a car accident caused by a negligent driver, however, you may be able to bring a wrongful death action against him to compensate you for the loss of your family member. While there is no amount of money that can take away the grief and loss of your loved one, it can help to obtain some sense of justice in holding the negligent driver responsible for compensating you.
What Compensation Are You Entitled to in a Car Crash Wrongful Death Action?
Generally, the spouse, domestic partner, and children are a deceased person’s dependents who are allowed to file a wrongful death action. Other family members may be entitled to compensation if the person died without having these dependents. The compensation awarded in a wrongful death case is similar to but slightly different from what your loved one could have obtained if he had survived the wreck. You may be entitled to the following types of damages:
- Medical expenses. You are entitled to compensation for the medical bills from your loved one’s injuries caused by the automobile accident.
- Funeral expenses. You can be reimbursed for your reasonable funeral and burial expenses.
- Property damage. If your family member’s property, such as his vehicle or property in the vehicle, was damaged in the crash, you should include this in your settlement request.
- Lost wages. Your lost wage claim will include not only any wages that your family member lost after the accident but before his death, but also the future earnings and benefits he would have received if he had lived.
- Loss of companionship. The biggest portion of your claim may be to compensate you for the loss of companionship, support, and affection from your family member.
An experienced car accident attorney can advise you on the value of your claim and negotiate your settlement for you so you hopefully receive what you are entitled to. Whether you are a resident of Las Vegas or from out-of-state, the legal team and Jones Wilson Injury Lawyers is here to help. Call our office today to schedule a free, no obligation consultation.