If you or a loved one was injured or someone died as a result of your crash, you do not want to delay in contacting an attorney. After you receive the medical treatment you need, your next priority should be hiring an experienced car accident attorney who can help you build your case and file your claim for compensation with the negligent driver’s insurance company. Unfortunately, settling a claim is often a battle for accident victims and having an experienced attorney at your side can increase the likelihood of receiving what your claim is worth.
Why Hiring an Attorney Soon After Your Car Crash Is So Important
When you must file a claim for compensation, you want to do everything right so that you receive what you deserve. Retaining an attorney soon after a wreck can help you achieve your goal. Here’s why doing so is important:
- Preserving evidence. Evidence can be lost if it is not preserved soon after an automobile accident. An attorney can thoroughly investigate the accident scene to discover business surveillance tapes of your crash and evidence like tire track marks, photographs, and more that could prove the other drivers’ negligence. If the investigation is not done quickly, some of this important evidence could be lost.
- Interviewing witnesses. Witnesses are much easier to locate soon after the accident. They can move or their memories of what happened can fade if they are not interviewed soon after the incident.
- Avoiding mistakes. By hiring an attorney right away, you can avoid making inadvertent mistakes, such as saying something you didn’t mean to the adjuster, or agreeing to give a recorded statement. These innocent mistakes could result in you having to settle for less than what your claim could have been worth.
- Collecting medical records. Your medical records and medical expert testimony will be key to proving your injuries. An attorney can begin collecting this information right away to ensure it is complete and does not get lost. He can also hire the appropriate medical expert for your case.
- Negotiating with the insurance company. You want to leave all the communications and negotiations with the negligent driver’s insurance adjuster to an attorney. By hiring an attorney right away, you avoid being convinced to settle your claim for less than you deserve.
- Avoiding delaying too long to sue. An experienced car accident attorney will know the statute of limitations—the deadline you have to file your lawsuit—in Nevada and will file your civil lawsuit before this important deadline expires.
While it is always best to contact an attorney soon after your crash, it is never too late to do so. If you or a family member was hurt in a car accident caused by another driver, fill out our online form to schedule your free, no obligation consultation.