Many people are not concerned about slip and fall accidents—not realizing that serious, life-changing injuries could result from a slip and fall. In fact, these accidents are surprisingly common. According to the National Floor Safety Institute, slip and fall accidents account for over one million visits to emergency rooms each year.
6 Common Places Where Slip and Fall Accidents Occur
Many slip and fall accidents occur when property owners fail to correct dangerous conditions that could cause people to fall. Property owners also have the responsibility to warn people of dangers that they know exist on their properties…or even hazards that a reasonably diligent property owner should have known about.
Slip and fall accidents can happen in numerous places and for a number of reasons, but studies have shown the danger is particularly acute in these locations:
- Sidewalks. Cracks in the sidewalks or gaps between the sidewalk blocks can make the ground uneven.
- Parking lots. Poorly maintained parking lots with cracks or holes in the asphalt can pose a risk to unsuspecting victims. If the lighting is also poor, a parking lot can become even more treacherous.
- Stairs. Stairs can wear with time if not properly maintained. Worn or rounded steps, as well as loose or missing handrails, frayed or loose carpeting, or poor lighting can create dangerous conditions that could cause someone to fall. In addition, debris or spilled liquids on the steps could be a danger too.
- Escalators and elevators. When escalators and elevators are not maintained, they can stop or start suddenly, causing a person to fall. In addition, people could get their fingers, feet, clothes, or shoes caught in a poorly maintained escalator, resulting in a dangerous fall and serious injuries.
- Restaurants, grocery stores, shopping malls, and other shops. Wet floors that are not marked, spills that are not cleaned up, and debris that is left scattered around can often result in an unsuspecting customer slipping and becoming injured. Even cleaning a floor with wax or polish, if applied unevenly or in excess, can result in dangerously slippery floors. Carpets can also pose a threat when they are worn, torn, or have material that footwear can get caught on.
- Job sites. Workers can slip and fall at work due to a number of causes, such as wet floors, damaged flooring, torn carpet, worn steps, loose handrails, and debris. Employees in certain industries also risk slipping and falling from unsafe ladders, scaffolding, and metal surfaces.
Our Slip & Fall Attorneys Hold Liabile Those Responsible for Your Injuries
During a fall, people can suffer serious injuries, such as head and brain injuries, spinal and neck injuries, broken bones, and even death. This is especially true if the victim is elderly. However, injured victims may be entitled to compensation for their injuries: if it can be proved that the property owner knew of and neglected to warn you about a potential hazard, they may be held liable for your injuries.
Have you been injured in a slip and fall accident? No matter how serious your injury is, we’ll give your case the attention it deserves to help you get the compensation you could be entitled to. From our office in Henderson, we proudly serve Las Vegas and the surrounding area. Fill out an online form to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation to learn more about your legal options.