In a slip and fall case, you must prove the business or property owner’s negligence caused your fall and that you suffered injuries as a result of your accident in order to obtain the compensation you deserve. A smart first step is hiring an experienced slip and fall accident attorney who can help you build a case against the negligent party. After completing a thorough investigation of your accident, your attorney may advise you to hire one or more expert witnesses to help prove your case. He should have a network of experts qualified to be good witnesses if your case goes to trial.
Key Expert Witnesses You May Want to Hire
Having an expert witness on your side can make a difference in the amount of compensation you receive in a settlement or in a jury verdict. Depending on the disputes in your case, you may want to retain one or more of these experts:
- Building inspectors or engineers. One way you can prove the business’ liability is to show that a building code violation caused your fall—which may lead to a presumption of negligence. A building inspector or structural engineer can investigate the accident scene and explain any structural violations to the jury.
- Accident reconstruction experts. An accident reconstruction expert has the scientific expertise to view evidence at the scene of your fall and recreate the steps of what happened that caused you to slip and fall.
- Flooring experts. A flooring and traction expert has expertise in the construction of floors and will understand how the coefficient of friction—the relationship between the force of friction between two objects—could have made the floor dangerously slippery.
- Medical experts. Medical experts are crucial to your case to establish the extent of your injuries, the treatment you need, and your final prognosis for recovery.
- Vocational and economic experts. If your injuries prevent you from returning to your former job, or you're permanently disabled, a vocational expert can help prove this and what work, if any, you could perform in the future. If you're permanently disabled, an economic expert can determine your lost earning capacity—which is the amount of future earnings, promotions, and career growth—you lost due to your injuries.
We Can Help
If you or a family member was injured in a slip and fall accident it's important to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible. Contact us online or call us directly at 866.299.0558 to schedule your free consultation. Feel free to review our firm’s testimonials as well to see how we've helped others just like you.