When a drunk driver causes you or a family member to suffer serious injuries in a car crash, it can feel even more tragic because the driver should have known better than to drive after consuming alcohol. Despite the fact that the dangers of drunk driving are well known, a disturbing number of people continue to drink and drive. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), 10,497 people were killed in drunk driving accidents in 2016. However, if you were injured due to a drunk driver’s negligence, you may be able to hold him accountable for compensating you for your injuries—with the help of an experienced attorney.
Drivers Who Are at Higher Risk of Causing a Drunk Driving Crash
While anyone can make the mistake of driving when intoxicated, certain groups of people are at higher risk of causing a drunk driving accident. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), these at-risk groups include:
- Young people between the ages of 21 and 24 years old are at the highest risk of causing a fatal accident, and individuals between 25 and 34 years old are a close second.
- Motorcyclists who are intoxicated are at high risk of causing a wreck that results in their own deaths. Riders between the ages of 35 and 39 were at the highest risk.
- Drunk drivers involved in a fatal crash were 4.5 times more likely to have a prior DUI conviction than sober motorists involved in crashes.
How Driving When Drunk Affects a Driver’s Abilities
It is illegal to drive in the state of Nevada with a blood alcohol level (BAC) of 0.08 or more. However, the driver who caused your crash may have still been impaired if his BAC was less than this amount. Alcohol consumption can compromise all of the following important driving skills:
- Reaction time
- Ability to respond to an emergency
- Ability to steer
- Maintaining a safe speed
- Staying in one lane
- Concentrating on more than one task
Let Our Experienced Attorneys Help You Obtain the Compensation You Deserve in a Drunk Driving Accident
Did a drunk driver cause you or a loved one to suffer injuries in a car accident? You will need to prove that his drunk driving was the cause of your crash in order to obtain the compensation you deserve. Our experienced drunk driving accident attorneys have years of experience in helping victims of these tragic accidents in the Henderson and Las Vegas areas fight for justice. Contact us online or call our office directly at 702.405.6000 today to schedule your free case evaluation to discuss your accident and your legal options.