Like many people, you may have never had the need to consult with an attorney. However, if you were in a car accident and suffered injuries, you may be confused about what to do and how to negotiate with the insurance company for the negligent driver on your own. Deciding to hire an attorney will help you obtain the settlement you deserve. But how do you pick a good attorney out of the many who handle this type of case?
Tips for Finding the Best Lawyer for You
The first thing you want to do is not make a mistake in your case by picking just any attorney out of the yellow pages or the first one you find in an Internet search. Here’s how to select the best attorney for your situation:
Ask for a referral.
You should ask family, friends, and co-workers for the name of an attorney they have used who handles car accident cases. You will want to know if they were happy with the attorney, how well he kept them informed, and whether he returned their calls and was easy to communicate with.
Research the attorney.
Once you have a few names, you will want to research the attorney’s credentials and any complaints against him by doing an Internet search and checking with the Nevada Bar Association. Check if he has any board certifications, peer ratings from other attorneys, or other legal awards.
Look for experienced attorneys.
You want an attorney experienced in handling auto accident cases. This is a specialized area of the law and you want an attorney who stays up to date on the laws, understands the complexity of these cases, and has worked with insurance adjusters and their attorneys to settle these cases.
Once you narrow down your choices to two to three attorneys, you should call them and set up a free consultation. Questions to ask during your appointment include:
- How much experience do you have handling this type of case?
- What part of your practice is handling car accident cases?
- What experience do you have handling my type of injury?
- What results have you achieved in similar cases?
- What outcome do you anticipate in my case?
- What are the strengths and weaknesses of my case?
- Will you personally handle my case? Some attorneys assign cases to less experienced associates.
- How many cases have you taken to trial? While many of these cases settle, some do not. You want an attorney who is competent in handling trials and is not afraid to take your case to trial if necessary.
- How will you communicate with me? Make sure he is easy to reach and returns calls or emails if he is unavailable.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
- What fees do you charge and will I have to pay any out-of-pocket expenses?
Once you have interviewed possible candidates, you’re ready to pick your attorney. You should decide this based on the following:
- Experience in handling these cases
- Prior success in cases like yours
- Someone you feel comfortable with and who explains things in a way you understand
- Someone who cares about you and your case and will fight to get you the best possible settlement
Have You Been Involved In A Henderson Or Las Vegas Car Accident?
If you've been injured in a car accident you need to speak with an experienced car accident lawyer as soon as possible. Contact us online or call our Henderson office directly at 702.405.6000 to schedule a free initial consultation.