Spinal stenosis occurs when the spinal cord in the neck or the spinal cord nerves in the lower back are compressed. This puts pressure on the spinal cord and the nerves running to your arms and legs. This condition can happen after a slip and fall at a casino or restaurant buffet, and you may experience low back pain, tingling or numbness in the legs, and difficulty walking. Victims of accidents who develop this condition must often limit their activities to reduce the pain. 

Common Treatments for Spinal Stenosis

The type of treatment needed for spinal stenosis depends on the severity of the symptoms. An accident victim could need one or more of these treatments:

Activity modification.

Patients are often advised to limit the activities that cause the painful symptoms. Also, a person may need to use a walker or shopping cart to lean on when going to the store or switch from walking for exercise to using an exercise bike.


An accident victim could need medication to help manage his pain and reduce the inflammation. This medication can include nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, muscle relaxants, or opioids that contain codeine.

Physical therapy.

Physical therapy can help the person build up his strength and endurance, maintain the stability and flexibility in the spine, and improve the person’s balance.

Steroid injections.

When the nerve roots become inflamed, swollen, or pinched, steroid injections can help reduce inflammation and relieve the pressure and pain. However, steroids can have serious side effects, so injections can only be given a few times a year.


If other treatments do not relieve the patient’s pain, he could need surgery to create more space within the spinal cavity to relieve the pressure on the spinal cord or nerve roots.

Even with these treatments, an accident victim suffering with spinal stenosis could face long-term pain requiring medication. He may also need to use a cane or walker that may seriously limit his day-to-day activities.

Have You Been Injured In A Henderson Or Las Vegas Accident?

If you've been injured in an accident you need to speak with an personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. Contact us online or call our Henderson office directly at 702.405.6000 to schedule a free initial consultation.


Cory M. Jones
Connect with me
Representing injured victims throughout Henderson and the surrounding Las Vegas area since 1993.