Even seemingly minor car accidents can be very stressful and result in serious injuries. After an accident, the number one priority is to ensure medical treatment for anyone injured. However, there are other important steps you can take both at the scene of the accident and during the days following to help protect his legal claims against the negligent driver who caused the crash.
4 Things to do at the Accident Scene
There are a number of things you should do right after the accident that can help your case. Here are some important steps you want to take:
- Call the police. Be sure to get the police officer’s name and badge number, and ask how to obtain a copy of the police report.
- Take pictures. If possible, you should take pictures of the accident scene and any injuries you or others have suffered.
- Exchange information. It is important to obtain the names, addresses, telephone numbers, driver’s license numbers, license plate numbers, and basic insurance information from all drivers involved in the accident.
- Talk to witnesses. If possible, you should talk to anyone who may have witnessed the accident, get a statement from that person, and obtain his contact information. You should not assume that the police will interview everyone who witnessed the crash.
5 Important Steps to Take in the Days Following Your Accident
After your accident, be sure to take these steps to strengthen your case:
- Inform your insurance company. Notify your insurance company promptly of your accident.
- Obtain a copy of the police report. Your insurance company and your attorney will need a copy of this.
- Follow up with medical care. This is not only important for your health but also to help your case against the other driver. It can hurt your case if you delay getting medical treatment or miss appointments.
- Keep documentation of your financial losses. This includes saving copies of all medical bills, receipts for car repairs, and documentation of any lost wages while you were off work.
- Contact an experienced attorney. An experienced attorney can help you collect documentation for your case, negotiate with the other driver’s insurance company or attorney, and ensure that you meet important deadlines relating to your case.
Contact Our Attorneys Today to Discuss Your Car Accident Claim
Even if you miss some of these steps, it’s likely you still have a case. The experienced car accident attorneys of Jones Wilson, LLP can help you obtain the information necessary to hold the negligent driver responsible for your injuries. If you or a family member suffered injuries in a car accident, we’re here to help you get the compensation you could be entitled to. Our office is located in Henderson, and we’re proud to serve all of Las Vegas, Clark County, and beyond. Call us today at 702-405-6000 today to schedule your free, no-obligation consultation.