After an accident, you may find yourself suffering from a spinal injury known as a herniated disc. Unfortunately for accident victims, this type of injury often results in severe pain that can last a lifetime. Herniated discs can also be difficult to diagnose; the injury may even go unnoticed following the initial emergency room visit after your accident. This is because the discs are not visible on x-ray images. As a result, you may try to ignore the pain at first, without realizing the true underlying cause. Once your herniated disc is identified, however, you may require extensive treatment.
10 Treatments for Herniated Discs
Often, the type of treatment that you require will depend on the severity and location of your herniated disc. Common treatments include the following:
- Cortisone injections to suppress inflammation, given directly into the area of the injury.
- Surgery to remove the protruding portion of the disc. If the injury is severe, the entire disc may need to be removed, and the vertebrae will either be fused together or an artificial disc will be implanted.
- Physical therapy to learn positions and exercises to minimize the pain caused by the herniated disc. Physical therapy is also used to build core strength and improve stability.
- Regular application of heat or ice to the injury site.
- Over-the-counter pain medication—such as ibuprofen, acetaminophen, or naproxen—for mild to moderate pain.
- Prescription medication for pain that is more severe, such as codeine or a hydrocodone-acetaminophen combination. You may also need medication for nerve pain, such as gabapentin, pregabalin, duloxetine, tramadol, or amitriptyline.
- Ultrasound treatments.
- Electrical stimulation.
- Braces for the neck or lower back.
These treatments may be necessary for months or even years into the future. Treatments are also continuously changing. As a result, the associated medical costs may grow substantially. If you’ve suffered a severe spinal injury, we encourage you to contact us today for a free, no-obligation analysis of your potential claim. We’re located in Henderson and are proud to serve all of Las Vegas and beyond.