Head-on collisions can be deadly on the major roadways and highways in the Las Vegas area because the vehicles are travelling at high speeds and the impact when they collide is greater. These accidents can cause life-threatening injuries, such as spinal cord injuries, paralysis, traumatic brain injury, internal organ damage, and death. Victims often face expensive medical bills, lengthy periods when they are unable to work, and emotional trauma from the accident. However, some of these accidents could be prevented if changes were made to roads and highways.
10 Ways the Risk of Head-On Collisions Could be Reduced
The goal in reducing head-on crashes is to keep vehicles from veering out of their lanes, minimizing the risk of a vehicle crashing into an oncoming one, and reducing the severity of injuries when these accidents happen. Ways this can be accomplished include:
- Installing rumble strips on two-way highways to slow vehicles when approaching hazardous conditions, such as construction zones, and in center lanes on two-way roads.
- Installing thermoplastic strips in centerlines.
- Providing center two-way left turn lanes on two- and four-lane roadways.
- Including a buffer median on two-way roadways.
- Using alternative passing lanes or four-lane sections on key points on the roadway to allow safer passing.
- Delineating sharp curves prominently.
- Installing median guards on narrow medians separating vehicles on multilane roads.
- Using better pavement markers.
- Installing skid-resistant surfaces to prevent vehicles from skidding into each other, such as when driving in the rain.
- Improve shoulders on roads and highways, including eliminating edge drops and improving the shoulders’ slope.
Have You Been Involved In A Henderson Or Las Vegas Car Accident?
If you’ve been injured in a car accident you need to speak with an experienced car accident lawyer as soon as possible. Contact us online or call our Henderson office directly at 702.405.6000 to schedule a free initial consultation.