Cory M. Jones
Connect with me
Representing injured victims throughout Henderson and the surrounding Las Vegas area since 1993.

Henderson Personal Injury Lawyers Jones WilsonIf a negligent driver hit you in a car wreck, you may have been relieved to learn that he has an automobile insurance policy that could cover your medical bills and reimburse you for your lost wages. However, if he only has Nevada’s required minimum insurance coverage, it may not fully compensate you even for a “minor” whiplash or back injury. But, you may have other options for seeking compensation if you find yourself in this situation.

What Are Nevada’s Minimum Insurance Coverage Requirements?

Nevada is an “at fault” state in terms of liability for a vehicle accident. This means the negligent driver is liable for compensating the victims of the crash. However, like many states, Nevada only requires drivers to carry minimal coverage that includes the following:

  • $15,000 when one person is injured in an accident
  • $30,000 when more than one person is injured in an accident
  • $10,000 in property damage coverage per accident

With how expensive medical treatments are, $15,000 in liability coverage may only cover a fraction of your medical bills—with no money left over for the wages you lost. In addition, if your vehicle was seriously damaged or totaled, $10,000 may not cover the cost to fix or replace it.

How Uninsured and Underinsured Insurance Coverage Could Help

When a negligent driver has the minimal or no insurance coverage in your crash, you still have a possible avenue for compensation for your injuries—your own insurance policy. At the time you purchased it, you would have been given the option of purchasing uninsured and underinsured insurance coverage. Hopefully you did this. If so, you could make a claim under your own insurance policy. Uninsured coverage will cover you if the driver had no insurance, and underinsured coverage will pay your additional losses above the insurance coverage the other driver had.

Have You Been Involved In A Henderson Or Las Vegas Car Accident?

If you've been injured in a car accident you need to speak with an experienced car accident lawyer as soon as possible. Contact us online or call our Henderson office directly at 702.405.6000 to schedule a free initial consultation.

Be the first to comment!
Post a Comment