Suffering a spinal injury is a frightening and overwhelming experience for anyone. Some of these victims may be left facing permanent or temporary paralysis. Unfortunately, in addition to dealing with the paralysis, sufferers of spinal injuries are also at risk of facing several different types of complications. Each complication carries with it its own need for treatment.
Eight Potential Complications After a Spinal Cord Injury
What are some of the complications that may arise after paralysis caused by a spinal cord injury? The following are eight examples:
- Blood clots, also known as deep vein thrombosis or DVT
- Skin pressure sores, also known as decubitus ulcers or pressure ulcers
- Low blood pressure, also known as hypotension
- Spasticity, consisting of increased stiffness, muscle jerks, and involuntary spasms in muscle groups below the injury level
- Bladder or urinary tract infections
- Difficulty managing the bowels
Complications resulting from paralysis caused by a spinal injury can create substantial physical, emotional, and financial stress for victims and their families. Victims will require treatment for these complications just as they will for the paralysis that they are facing. This treatment may be expensive, time consuming, and physically debilitating. Fortunately, victims of spinal cord injuries may be entitled to compensation for these losses. It is important to act quickly, however. Victims have only a limited amount of time in which to pursue a claim.
We encourage you to contact us online or call us directly at 866-299-0558 to schedule your free consultation. We proudly service the Henderson and surrounding Las Vegas area.