4 Steps You Need to Take If You Are the Victim of a Hit and Run Driver

Henderson Personal Injury Lawyers Jones WilsonAny car accident can be traumatic, but your worries may be magnified if you were involved in a crash caused by a hit and run driver. After all, you need to know who the driver was to hold him responsible for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering if you suffered serious injuries.

Leaving the scene of an accident is a crime in Nevada. However, drivers flee without stopping for a variety of reasons, including the following:

  • Intoxication
  • No insurance
  • Driving the vehicle without the owner’s permission
  • No driver’s license or driving on a suspended license
  • Numerous tickets or a bad driving record
  • Driving a vehicle provided by an employer wanting his employer to know about the accident
  • Outstanding warrant for arrest
  • Transporting drugs or stolen goods

A hit and run driver is not necessarily without financial resources that could be used to compensate you. This driver could be a student, businessman, banker, doctor, lawyer, or other professional person. Do not make the mistake of assuming there is nothing you can do to make a hit and run driver responsible for the accident he caused.

What to Do If You Are the Victim of a Hit and Run Accident

You need to take steps to protect yourself like you would in any other car crash. You should do the following:

Pull over.

You may be tempted to try to chase the hit and run driver. However, you should stop, check to see whether your passengers or you are injured, and assess the damage to your vehicle.

Recall details.

Try to remember as much as possible about the accident, including the make, model, and color of the other vehicle. If you saw even a part of the license plate number, jot it down.

Call the police.

You need to call the police and obtain a copy of the accident report. The police may be able to help locate the hit and run driver. In addition, you will need a copy of the accident report for your own insurance company.

Contact your insurance company.

You need to report the accident to your insurance company and make a claim under your uninsured insurance coverage if you purchased it. In addition, your insurance adjuster could have suggestions on how you can identify the hit and run driver.

Have You Been Involved In A Henderson Or Las Vegas Car Accident?

If you’ve been injured in a car accident you need to speak with an experienced car accident lawyer as soon as possible. Contact us online or call our Henderson office directly at 702.405.6000 to schedule a free initial consultation.

Why Work with us?

Finding the right lawyer to represent your injury case can be extremely frustrating. However, with 35 years worth of experience and insider knowledge of how insurance companies work, the Jones Wilson law firm stands out from the crowd. Other attorneys pick and choose their clients based on case notoriety, but we’re here to help you, no matter how large or small your case.
Call (702) 405-6000

Schedule a Free Consultation Today! No Fee Until We Win!