It should not be surprising that drowsy driving or even worse—motorists falling asleep while driving—is a huge problem in our country. Many people suffer with sleep disorders or simply have too much to do to get a good night’s sleep. While people can perform some of their daily duties with a lack of sleep, driving is not one of them. Sadly, drowsy drivers cause many automobile wrecks that result in victims suffering devastating injuries or death.
Who Is at Most Risk of Causing a Drowsy Driving Accident?
According to the National Traffic Highway Safety Administration (NHTSA), drowsy driving accidents caused 846 deaths and an estimated 37,000 injuries in 2014. NHTSA believes the current research underestimates the problem and that really approximately 5,000 people died in drowsy driving crashes that year. While anyone can cause one of these wrecks, people most likely to be a drowsy or sleeping driver include:
- Drivers who do not get sufficient sleep
- Young male drivers between 17 and 23 years old
- Commercial drivers who drive big-rig trucks, buses, and tow trucks
- Shift workers who work at night, who work long hours, or who have rotating shifts
- Drivers who have a sleep disorder that is not treated
- Drivers who take medications with drowsiness as a side effect
- Drivers who are intoxicated on drugs or alcohol
Warning Signs That Drowsy Driving Caused Your Crash
Being fatigued while driving can impair a person’s driving abilities in a number of ways. These include the following:
- Makes a driver less attentive
- Slows reaction times, especially if the driver has to brake or react suddenly
- Reduces the driver’s ability to make good decisions
Given this wide-spread problem, there is a good chance that the driver who hit you was drowsy and that this at least contributed to your crash. How do you tell if he was sleepy? Here are the signs to watch for in the other driver:
- Frequent yawning and a hard time keeping his eyes open
- Driving too close to the vehicle ahead of him
- Admission of missing an exit or turn
- Drifting into other lanes or onto the shoulder of the road
If You Were the Victim of a Drowsy Driver, Contact Our Car Accident Attorneys Today
Did the driver who hit you exhibit any of these warning signs of drowsy driving? The experienced car accident attorneys at Jones Wilson Injury Lawyers are here to help you prove this or other driver negligence caused your accident. Call us at 866-299-0558 to schedule a free case evaluation.