No matter how clear cut the other driver’s liability and the seriousness of your injuries are, chances are that his insurance adjuster will find issues to argue about. He may say that you were somehow partially to blame for the collision, or that your injuries are not as severe as you claim. This is a common insurance tactic to attempt to reduce or deny your claim for compensation.
However, we can help you fight back by proving your case. Hiring experts to establish disputed issues is one way you can increase the likelihood of a favorable settlement.
What Types of Expert Could Your Car Accident Claim Need?
The type of expert you should hire will be based on the issues in your case that are preventing you from settling your claim. An experienced car accident attorney will consider many different experts who could help build your case for compensation. The most common types of experts utilized are:
- Medical experts. Medical experts play a vital role in most car accident cases. Your treating physician or another independent doctor can write a report and testify about your injuries, the treatments you needed and will need in the future, and your long-term prognosis.
- Accident reconstruction experts. When the cause of your crash is in dispute, you may need an accident reconstruction expert who is qualified to recreate what happened. He will also be able to draw conclusions as to the speed of the vehicles, the force of the impact, weather and road conditions, and who was fault in causing the crash.
- Economists. If you are unable to return to your former job due to your injuries, you will need an economic expert who can testify as to the value of your future lost earning capacity and any future medical expenses. Calculation of your future lost earnings can be complicated because it also involves the loss of promotions, bonuses, other benefits of your job, and differences in salary and benefits if you must make a career change.
- Rehabilitation specialists. Occupational therapists, physical therapists, social workers, and vocational specialists can also be needed if you cannot return to your former job. They can determine how your injuries impact your ability to work in the future, what types of jobs you could perform, and limitations you could have once you are able to return to work.
- Engineers. If there are issues regarding defects in the road construction or inadequate signs, an engineering expert who understands state and federal guidelines could be needed. Some engineers can also testify as to the angles and magnitude of the force when the crash occurred and structural issues with your vehicle.
Let Our Car Accident Attorneys Defend Your Right to Compensation
Your attorney can help you decide which experts you need. He should have a network of qualified specialists he uses in cases like yours. If you were hurt in a car crash, call our firm toll free at 866-299-0558 to schedule a free consultation with one of our experienced car accident attorneys.