You may feel embarrassed if you injured yourself in a slip and fall accident at a friend’s or family member’s home. The last thing you may want to do is sue them. While that is understandable, you will need compensation for your lost wages, medical bills, and more while you heal from your injuries. Chances are that your fall was caused by their negligence, so you should not feel guilty about pursing your legal options. Fortunately, they should have homeowner’s insurance that will pay you the compensation you deserve.
Common Ways a Homeowner’s Negligence Could Have Caused Your Slip and Fall
Some falls at people’s residences are just accidents that were not caused by the homeowner’s negligence. For example, if you tripped on your dress or stumbled for no reason and fell, it would not be the homeowner’s fault. However, if he allowed an unreasonably unsafe condition to exist on his property, he would be negligent and responsible for compensating you.
Most slip and fall accidents that occur at a person’s residence happen on stairs, carpets or other flooring, sidewalks, and snow and ice. Reasons a homeowner’s negligence could have caused your fall include:
- A substance or object was left on the stairs.
- There are no handrails on stairways or they are poorly designed or broken.
- The risers – the height of each step – are the wrong height or the height of individual steps varies.
- The steps are too shallow.
- Any carpet or rugs on stairways are poorly placed.
- Area rugs do not have proper grip pads underneath them.
- Carpets are torn, worn, or frayed.
- Floors are slippery from being washed or waxed or are cracked or chipped.
- Driveways and sidewalks are slippery due to snow and ice.
- Sidewalks, paths, and driveways have cracks and potholes.
Have You Been Injured In A Henderson Slip and Fall Accident?
If you’ve been injured in a slip and fall you need to speak with an experienced slip and fall lawyer as soon as possible. Please contact us online or call our Henderson office directly at 702.405.6000 to schedule a free consultation with our slip and fall attorneys.