Many people avoid using a public restroom because of cleanliness and privacy concerns. However, they may never think of them as dangerous places. But that is precisely what they can be when businesses, restaurants, shopping malls, supermarkets, and other public buildings have bathrooms for guests to use, but the owners fail to inspect and clean their restrooms regularly.
Why Do Slip and Fall Accidents Occur in Public Restrooms?
A business or other property owner who offers a restroom for the public to use has a duty to keep it in a safe and sanitary condition. Because of the high volume of people using a public restroom daily, this entails much more than cleaning the bathroom once a week like people often do at home. It takes constant cleaning, maintenance, and inspections to keep these bathrooms safe. Common hazards created when businesses breach this duty include:
- Leaks. Public restrooms contain many pipes and faucets. When they leak and are not repaired, an unsuspecting guest can slip and fall on the water left on the floor.
- Clogged toilets and sinks. When toilets or sinks become clogged, they can overflow if guests continue to use them, making the wet floor treacherous.
- Spilled soap and water. People using public restrooms can spill liquid soap and water on the floor when washing up. If employees do not regularly inspect and wipe up these wet surfaces, a slip and fall accident could be the result.
- Debris. Toilet paper, paper towels, and other trash left unattended on the floor can be a slip and fall hazard for unsuspecting guests.
- Broken tiles. Because of the constant traffic in public bathrooms, the tile flooring can become cracked or broken. When left unrepaired, these floors can be tripping hazards.
If you were injured in a slip and fall accident in a public restroom, you could have suffered long-term injuries, such as broken bones, hip fractures, back and spinal injuries, concussions, and traumatic brain injury. Obtaining compensation for your injuries may be more complicated than you think. Many businesses—such as a large office building or a mall—may hire an outside company to clean their restrooms. You need an experienced slip and fall accident attorney to identify all potentially liable parties so you obtain the full compensation you deserve. Contact us online or call us directly at 702.405.6000 to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation to learn about your legal options.
We help injured victims in Henderson and Las Vegas as well as visitors who have been involved in an accident while visiting our area.